What is Advanced Care Planning?
- A process of learning about the types of decisions that might need to be made, considering those decisions, your values and priorities ahead of time, then letting others know—both your loved ones and your healthcare providers—about your preferences
- How do you define Quality of Life?
- Decisions that might come up relate :
- CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
- Ventilator use
- Artificial nutrition (tube feeding) and artificial hydration (IV, or intravenous, fluids)
- Comfort Directed Care
- The Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA) -1990 -encourages everyone to decide ahead of time about the types and extent of medical care they want to accept or refuse if they become unable to make those decisions due to illness.